Christa Worthington/Toddler Tried to Nurse from Dead Mom :(
tiny dancer
2006-10-24 04:22:17 UTC
Tot probably did not see mom die, cop testifies

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (Court TV) -- A toddler found clinging to her
murdered mother's body probably did not witness the killing, a state police
detective who interviewed the child testified at the trial of the man
accused in the fatal stabbing.

The trooper quoted 2-year-old Ava Worthington as saying, "Mommy's lying
down. Mommy won't get up," when questioned a few hours after her mother,
Christa, was discovered dead in their cottage in Truro on January 6, 2002.

"She said, 'Mommy dirty. Tried to clean mommy,'" Detective Kimberly Squire
told jurors at the trial of Christopher McCowen.

According to police witnesses, a pool of blood surrounded the head of the
victim, a 46-year-old fashion writer. There were child-sized bloody
handprints on her abdomen.

Squire said Ava also told her, "Those are my paints, not mommy's."

McCowen, the man who collected trash from the Worthington house, is on trial
for first-degree murder, aggravated rape and armed burglary. The 33-year-old
ex-convict was arrested three years after the crime when the state crime lab
matched him to DNA on Worthington's body.

Squire testified that during her interview with Ava and another one she
observed the following day, authorities avoided asking Ava if she had seen
someone hurt her mother.

"I tried not to be leading at all in any question. I left it vague. When she
said, 'Mommy won't get up', that was the extent of it," she said.

"After that second interview, I felt that she did not witness or see
anything that happened to her mother that night," she said.

Authorities believe Ava was left alone with her mother's body for more than
a day. The girl was attempting to nurse from her mother when an ex-boyfriend
of Christa Worthington came upon the scene and called police.

When Squire asked Ava if anyone has visited her recently, she named the
ex-boyfriend, Tim Arnold, and his dog, Sammy. Arnold was at one time the
prime suspect in the murder.

Ava Worthington, now 7, is being raised by a childhood friend of her mother.
Her father, Tony Jackett, was also a suspect in the killing. He fathered Ava
during an extramarital affair with the victim, and they had argued over
paternity and child support.

She was on a list of potential defense witnesses, but after court, defense
lawyer Robert George said he would not call her to the stand.

McCowen faces life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/23/capecod.murder/index.html
Hester Mofet
2006-10-24 08:14:35 UTC
Post by tiny dancer
Tot probably did not see mom die, cop testifies
BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (Court TV) -- A toddler found clinging to her
murdered mother's body probably did not witness the killing, a state police
detective who interviewed the child testified at the trial of the man
accused in the fatal stabbing.
I remember when the detail in your headline came out. I thought it was
one of the saddest things I had ever heard. Poor baby.

Hester Mofet
AusWendy
2006-10-25 11:32:06 UTC
Post by Hester Mofet
Post by tiny dancer
Tot probably did not see mom die, cop testifies
BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (Court TV) -- A toddler found clinging to her
murdered mother's body probably did not witness the killing, a state police
detective who interviewed the child testified at the trial of the man
accused in the fatal stabbing.
I remember when the detail in your headline came out. I thought it was
one of the saddest things I had ever heard. Poor baby.
Yes its dreadful. Reminds me of that Ann Rule book in which a man had his
exwife killed in front of her quads and they were only very young at the
time. Some people .........words fail me.

Aus Wendy
patfish
2006-10-25 13:33:07 UTC
Post by AusWendy
Post by Hester Mofet
Post by tiny dancer
Tot probably did not see mom die, cop testifies
BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (Court TV) -- A toddler found clinging to her
murdered mother's body probably did not witness the killing, a state police
detective who interviewed the child testified at the trial of the man
accused in the fatal stabbing.
I remember when the detail in your headline came out. I thought it was
one of the saddest things I had ever heard. Poor baby.
Yes its dreadful. Reminds me of that Ann Rule book in which a man had his
exwife killed in front of her quads and they were only very young at the
time. Some people .........words fail me.
Aus Wendy
I'm posting this on my Blog next week but since you mentioned it. I
loved this book. Read it if you want to see the very definition of
evil.

"Every Breath You Take"-Ann Rule

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Breath-You-Take-Obsession/dp/0743202961

Let us begin with this review of a most intriguing True Crime by
stating firmly that there is simply none better in this genre than Ann
Rule. In fact, I've reviewed a few other books by the esteemed Ms.
Rule,
http://patfish.blogspot.com/2006/06/two-book-review-rules-bitter-harvest.html
"Bitter Harvest", "Heart Full of Lies" as well as
http://patfish.blogspot.com/2005/02/thomas-capano-happy-harry-comments.html
"And Never Let Her Go".

I vaguely remembered the murder of Sheila Bellush, a woman killed
horrifically in her Florida home while her quadruplets stood by, their
toddler bodies covered with their mother's blood. Sheila's shot and
stabbed body was discovered by Sheila's teenaged daughter, over six
hours after her murder.

Sheila Bellush was once married to an Allen Blackthorne, a heinous man
with mental issues I can't begin to comprehend. Blackthorne was born
with the name Van Houte but changed his name to Blackthorne after a
pirate hero in a book he loved. Bellush had two children with Allen
Blackthorne Van Houte.

Allen Van Houte Blackthorne was a man who had everything yet for want
of complete control and more than mild case of obsession, he threw it
all away while killing the mother of six children: his own two
daughters and Sheila's quadruplets, just toddlers at the time of their
mother's murder.

Sheila Blackthorne divorced Allen and remarried Jamie Bellush. Since
Sheila had her tubes tied while married to Allen, the couple tried in
vitro fertilization. It worked. Four babies were conceived.

Throughout the years following her divorce from Allen, Sheila faced a
life of torment from her obsessed ex-husband. He refused to pay child
support, he manipulated their daughters, he made her life a living
hell. Eventually Allen Blackthorne gave up all paternal rights to his
daughters but that didn't get him out of Sheila's life.

Allen Blackthorne was a millionaire, remarried to a beautiful woman and
lived in a mansion. He had two healthy children with his new wife and
Ann Rule guides the reader fluidly through the tortured life of Allen.
Rule attempts to present the strange Allen Blackthorne as neutrally as
possible but some things are just to difficult for a reader to
understand. This reader could never get a grip on what demons rule a
man so obsessed with revenge that he'd risk everything he'd gained, his
wife, his sons, his beautiful home and a life of leisure, all to murder
a woman divorced from him and the children he had with her fully
disowned legally by Allen Blackthorne. Some things just make no sense.

Perhaps it's because Ann Rule is a female True Crime writer, but I've
never read a book written by Rule that didn't mesmerize me from the
first word till the last. Rule knows how to fill in all the nooks and
crannies of the story, how it began, how it transpired, the end result.
And yet Rule does not intrude in the tale. It is obvious, as it is in
any True Crime novel, just who is providing most of the information for
the detail. In the case of "Every Breath You Take", it's obvious that
Sheila's sister, Kerry, providing the author with much of the
information. Rule does, as she always does to my complete admiration,
study the legal documentation, attends the trial, speaks to the
investigators and lays it all out, neatly and understandably, for the
reader.

I was a bit disappointed over the lack of feedback from Jamie Bellush,
the father of the quadruplets and widower of Sheila. Though Rule does
an excellent job of presenting the characters in this True Crime, it
was obvious, at least to me, that Jamie Bellush is not held in high
regard by Sheila's family. In its own way, this fact is a bit tragic.

Allen Blackthorne arranged for a series of hit man to murder his
ex-wife, Sheila. There is no rhyme or reason as to why he did it or
what on earth he thought he would gain by such a tragic action.

It's a True Crime, it's tragic and heart-breaking. Many lives were
destroyed by the utter ruthlessness of Allen Blackthorne, a man with
the weirdest sexual demands that would make a normal woman shudder.

Ann Rule, as she always does, guides the reader through the crime, from
the perpetrator's background through to the victim's background.

All I can say is this book is a must-read. If you read no other True
Crime book on the tragedy of Sheila Bellush and the obsessions and
follies of Allen Blackthorne, read this one.