Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer Parent's Murder Suicide
Poe
2005-07-08 00:04:25 UTC
I love music and fell in love with Shelby Lynne's southern Alabama
bluesy music. Once I realized her sister was Allison Moorer, I got onto
her music and like it quite a bit as well.

Apparently Shelby and Allison's father got drinking one night and killed
the girls' mother and himself. The were said to have been there, and
witnessed at least the aftermath.

My question to a.t-c is, anyone familiar with the details of this? From
what I gather, based on their ages and they were teenagers when it
happened, this must have been in the late '80s or maybe early '90.

Anyone recall the details? Any links to old news stories?

Ever Curious,
Poe
c***@earthlink.net

Poe
My2Cents
2005-07-08 01:11:41 UTC
Partial post:

DAVE'S DIARY - 16 MAY 2004 - ALLISON MOORER INTERVIEW

ALLISON MOORER WORKS WITHOUT A NET

"In the cemetery mist stands a newborn atheist/ even if you do not
exist/ you're far from almighty/ flesh and blood's a sissy fist/
death's a gold glove pugilist." - The Duel - Alison Moorer-Butch Primm.

Allison Moorer has good reasons for not wanting to divulge her song
sources.

And it's not just because she bared her heart and soul when she wrote
songs about her songwriter dad Vernon shooting her mum Laura in a
bizarre murder suicide when she was 13.

"I was working with an engineer who had worked with a musician whom I'm
a big fan of and they had just put an album out," Moorer told Nu
Country in a call from Nashville.

"I was talking to the engineer about a specific song and what I thought
it meant and what it meant to me. I was excited about it but the
engineer said the artist has written it in the studio with magnetic
poetry on the music stand. It totally blew my mind and broke my heart.
It's not that the song isn't fabulous and I still love it and want to
hear it but I think about that every time I hear it."

The Alabama born singer has ploughed her painful past for a rich
catalogue of songs that included Oscar nominated Soft Place To Fall
from her 1998 debut disc Alabama Song.

Despite the Oscar nomination it only reached #67 on the country charts.
My2Cents
2005-07-08 01:15:13 UTC
Sorry, forgot the link:
http://www.nucountry.com.au/articles/diary/may2004/160504_allisonmoorer.htm
Poe
2005-07-08 01:27:25 UTC
Post by My2Cents
http://www.nucountry.com.au/articles/diary/may2004/160504_allisonmoorer.htm
Thanks, this is a very interesting site!

I would LOVE to see a story from around when this happened. For
instance, there is a reference to her mother leaving the father 15 times
before. I'd love to see old local news coverage from when it occurred,
and that may have some additional information on the family dynamics.
Perhaps that doesn't exist, idk. As usual, being a visually oriented
person, I'd love to get a visual on mom and dad.