More on Earnest Lee Hargon 3/3
Maggie
2004-03-03 12:36:57 UTC
Read the last few paragraphs--it seems Earnest Lee was not quite the paragon of
virtue that many of his friends claim him to be. It amazes me how low people
can go before friends and neighbors will say a bad word about him. Perhaps
it's a southern thing. From the Jackson Clarion-Ledger:

March 3, 2004
Stepfather struggles to believe suspect capable of murder
By Peggy Matthews
***@clarionledger.com

Jack Glancy of Taylorsville has watched in disbelief at the unfolding enigma
that is Earnest Lee Hargon, his stepson who is accused of killing a Yazoo
County family.

"I would have bet my life he wouldn't have done that," said the soft-spoken
Glancy.

Glancy, 72, was married to Hargon's mother, Eva, who died last year of cancer.

Although he grieves for his wife, he's glad she did not live to see her son
arrested on capital murder charges Monday.

"She's better off not being here. That's a harsh thing to say, but true,"
Glancy said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

The stepson he thought he knew was a decent man, congenial, given to practical
jokes, he said.

They had worked together at the Leaf River Veterinary Clinic on Friday, the
same day Hargon, 43, was arrested in the deaths of Michael, Rebecca and
4-year-old James Patrick Hargon.

The Hargons disappeared from their home in Vaughan on Feb. 14. Their bodies
were found Monday near Taylorsville in Covington County.

The last time Glancy saw his stepson at the animal clinic owned by Earnest Lee
Hargon's wife, Lisa Ainsworth, life seemed good.

Earnest Lee Hargon was relaxed, working on his Corvette, the car authorities
say he may have used to take the family from their home. "He was joking and
carrying on like normal. That's the part I can't deal with, Glancy said. "For
two weeks he was the normal person that I know."

Glancy said he's not sure if he will visit his stepson in jail, but he prays
for him.

"I'm just kind of in shock ... I feel more sorrow than I do anger. It's
totally baffling," Glancy said.

Glancy said he couldn't imagine a motive for such a crime, but thinks drugs
might have played a role. Authorities in Smith County charged Earnest Lee
Hargon on Sunday with possession of methamphetamine while in possession of a
firearm.

"He drove a truck two or three years ago and had to take pills to stay awake
... He got hooked," Glancy said.

Earnest Lee Hargon's father, Charles Hargon, cut him out of his will shortly
before he died in January, leaving a 50-acre farm near Canton to Michael
Hargon, his great-nephew.

"Earnest Lee could not have cared less ... he didn't care anything about that
property," Glancy said.

Earnest Lee Hargon and his father had not spoken to each for two years before
Charles Hargon died, according to Glancy.

"It was some silly little thing about working cattle, the way they were
driving them. He did not go to his funeral," Glancy said.

He did not want to talk about Ainsworth, whom he works for, but said she and
Earnest Lee Hargon had a good relationship and "seemed to be in love."

The couple had gone out to dinner Feb. 15, and Glancy was feeding animals at
the clinic when investigators first showed up to question Earnest Lee Hargon,
he said.

In 1994, the Glancys obtained custody of Earnest Lee Hargon's son, James
Phillip Hargon, now 15. He calls Glancy, who has raised him since he was 7
months old, "paw."

He is a great kid and a good student, Glancy said. With his voice breaking,
Glancy said, "I'm concerned about J.P. He lost his mother, lost his grandfather
and now he's lost his dad, all in less than a year."

During the custody fight in Leake County Chancery Court, Earnest Lee Hargon
was described as an unfit parent, who abandoned his child.

At one point during the hearing, Earnest Lee Hargon stood up in court and
called the judge a "self-centered son of a bitch," records show. He was found
in contempt and thrown in jail for one day.

The judge, Ray Montgomery of Canton, remembered the incident. "That was the
only time I can recall that happening. I told him it was not an affront to me,
but it was an affront to the court," Montgomery said.

Maggie

"Objects in your mirror may be closer than they appear." --John Edwards after
the WI primary
Edward Hutchison
2004-03-03 16:35:26 UTC
I remain curious about the TWO women who married Earnest L. Hargon.

If Hargon lost the custody case involving his son--and having been jailed for
contempt during the proceeding would indicate he did--then how is it that
Hargon's step-father, Jack Glancy, has raised the child.

Mr. Glancy is quoted as saying that he and his late wife (Eva Heflin--the
mother of Earnest) raised the boy (now 15) since he was 7 months old.

Can anyone shed light on this factor?

Edward Hutchison
Madison, MS
Jaforslev
2004-03-03 17:40:53 UTC
Post by Edward Hutchison
If Hargon lost the custody case involving his son--and having been jailed for
contempt during the proceeding would indicate he did--then how is it that
Hargon's step-father, Jack Glancy, has raised the child.
Maybe the custody battle was between the Glancys and Hargon.
Julie
Maggie
2004-03-03 18:02:40 UTC
Post by Edward Hutchison
contempt during the proceeding would indicate he did--then how is it that
Hargon's step-father, Jack Glancy, has raised the child.
Maybe the custody battle was between the Glancys and Hargon.
Julie
***It's not uncommon for birth parents to lose custody of their children to
their own parents. Apparently both Hargon's were unfit to bring up the child.

the WI primary
Maggie
2004-03-03 18:17:41 UTC
Post by Maggie
Post by Edward Hutchison
contempt during the proceeding would indicate he did--then how is it that
Hargon's step-father, Jack Glancy, has raised the child.
Maybe the custody battle was between the Glancys and Hargon.
Julie
***It's not uncommon for birth parents to lose custody of their children to
their own parents. Apparently both Hargon's were unfit to bring up the child.
***Hargons. "both Hargons"

Maggie < embarrassed

the WI primary
ImNot911
2004-03-03 18:32:27 UTC
Post by Maggie
***Hargons. "both Hargons"
Maggie < embarrassed
Maggie
LOL. I knew you'd correct that.
Kris Baker
2004-03-03 18:26:34 UTC
The original post isn't on my newsreader any longer, so I'm
Post by Maggie
Glancy, 72, was married to Hargon's mother, Eva, who
died last year of cancer.
(SNIP)
Post by Maggie
In 1994, the Glancys obtained custody of Earnest Lee
Hargon's son, James Phillip Hargon, now 15. He calls
Glancy, who has raised him since he was 7 months old,
"paw."
He is a great kid and a good student, Glancy said. With
his voice breaking, Glancy said, "I'm concerned about J.P.
He lost his mother, lost his grandfather and now he's lost
his dad, all in less than a year."
I'm sorry, folks, but this family tree doesn't have enough
forks. This is one of the most convoluted batch of
relationships I've ever read about.

Do I have this right?

Eva marries Charles Hargon.
Gives birth to Earnest
Divorce.

Earnest marries first wife.
Birth of son JP in (approx) 1989
Divorce

Eva marries Glancy.
They take custody of JP

Earnest marries Lisa

Now....who is Glancy talking about when he says "lost
his mother...". Eva Glancy? Isn't Eva the GRANDmother?

Kris
Maggie
2004-03-03 18:36:59 UTC
Post by Maggie
In 1994, the Glancys obtained custody of Earnest Lee
Hargon's son, James Phillip Hargon, now 15. He calls
Glancy, who has raised him since he was 7 months old,
"paw."
He is a great kid and a good student, Glancy said. With
his voice breaking, Glancy said, "I'm concerned about J.P.
He lost his mother, lost his grandfather and now he's lost
his dad, all in less than a year."
I'm sorry, folks, but this family tree doesn't have enough
forks. This is one of the most convoluted batch of
relationships I've ever read about.
Do I have this right?
Eva marries Charles Hargon.
Gives birth to Earnest
Divorce.
***No. Earnest is not a Hargon--he was five when his mother married Charles
Hargon.
Post by Kris Baker
Earnest marries first wife.
Birth of son JP in (approx) 1989
Divorce
Eva marries Glancy.
They take custody of JP
Earnest marries Lisa
Now....who is Glancy talking about when he says "lost
his mother...". Eva Glancy?
***Could be. But more likely it's Earnest's first wife whose name is/was
Jeaneva Lynn Mowdy.

Isn't Eva the GRANDmother?

***Yes.

the WI primary
Kris Baker
2004-03-03 19:11:58 UTC
Post by Maggie
In 1994, the Glancys obtained custody of Earnest Lee
Hargon's son, James Phillip Hargon, now 15. He calls
Glancy, who has raised him since he was 7 months old,
"paw."
He is a great kid and a good student, Glancy said. With
his voice breaking, Glancy said, "I'm concerned about J.P.
He lost his mother, lost his grandfather and now he's lost
his dad, all in less than a year."
I'm sorry, folks, but this family tree doesn't have enough
forks. This is one of the most convoluted batch of
relationships I've ever read about.
Do I have this right?
Eva marries Charles Hargon.
Gives birth to Earnest
Divorce.
***No. Earnest is not a Hargon--he was five when his mother
married Charles Hargon.
Will anyone believe that I knew that? ;)
Post by Maggie
Post by Kris Baker
Earnest marries first wife.
Birth of son JP in (approx) 1989
Divorce
Eva marries Glancy.
They take custody of JP
Earnest marries Lisa
Now....who is Glancy talking about when he says "lost
his mother...". Eva Glancy?
***Could be. But more likely it's Earnest's first wife whose
name is/was Jeaneva Lynn Mowdy.
Isn't Eva the GRANDmother?
***Yes.
Maggie
That would mean both JeanEVA and Eva died just
recently.

I'm starting to wonder if Earnest will plead "not
guilty due to fear of Evas".

Kris
ImNot911
2004-03-03 18:40:10 UTC
From: "Kris Baker"
Do I have this right?
Eva marries Charles Hargon.
Gives birth to Earnest
Divorce.
***
I know you just slipped here. Eva married Charles, then Charles adopted Eva's
son, Earnest.
***
Earnest marries first wife.
Birth of son JP in (approx) 1989
Divorce
Eva marries Glancy.
They take custody of JP
Earnest marries Lisa
Now....who is Glancy talking about when he says "lost
his mother...". Eva Glancy? Isn't Eva the GRANDmother?
Kris
**I guess he's talking about Eva, who was really the grandmother.
I'd like to know where the real mother is now. If she's dead, I wonder if
Earnest had a hand in it.
I can't believe he has not done horrible things before, and gotten away with
it.
JoAnn
MCB4574
2004-03-03 19:48:16 UTC
A few days ago I was on another message board and the post was from the
stepchild of Earnest first wife Geneva. The post said that Geneva and Ernest
were into drugs pretty heavy during that time. Geneva leaves Ernest and
marries this other man who also has a child and they continue to do drugs (if I
didn't misunderstand) to this day. That website has already deleted the posts
so I can't paste it in. It was stated that Ernest son did go to live with the
grandparents and Geneva would go and visit him there on weekends. It was later
on during the end of the messages that the person who was posted actually
realized that Ernest was the first husband of their step-mom Geneva.
Edward Hutchison
2004-03-03 20:37:41 UTC
This morning's Jackson Clarion-Ledger carried an interview with Jack Glancy,
the step-father of accused murderer, Earnest Lee Hargon.

The article was interesting, but, alas, a quotation concerning James Phillip
Hargon, the step son of Earnest Hargon, is a bit misleading. Mr. Glancy stated
that J.P. had lost a mother, grandfather, and now his father all in less than a
year.

The "mother" that Mr. Glancy referred to 15 year old James Philip losing, would
have been Eva H. Glancy.

Mrs. Glancy was, in fact, the adoptive step-grandmother of the boy, but since
she had raised him from the age of seven months, in a sense, she would have
been the only mother that J.P. knew. She and her husband, Jack, were given
formal custody of J.P. when he was about five.

(Eva H. Glancy was born May 14, 1928 and lived in Taylorsville, MS before her
death from cancer on April 25, 2003.)

From my own research, I believe that J.P.'s actual mother (and the former wife
of Earnest Lee Hargon) is the Jeaneva L. Mowdy, age 40, who lives now at 1140
Louise Ave., Lancaster, PA.

I'd be surprised if she was not now the subject of police questioning.

Edward Hutchison
Madison, MS

Other Hargon info & photos at:
http://erh3.homestead.com/Hargon.html
r***@gmail.com
2014-08-05 14:14:45 UTC
I grew up down the road from Eva and jack glancy and I always hung out with their grandson. I knew janeva she came for a little while and just stopped when she got remarried
Marco Estupinan
2023-11-26 02:58:25 UTC
I grew up down the road from Eva and jack glancy and I always hung out with their grandson. I knew janeva she came for a little while and just stopped when she got remarried.
I met Jeaneva in the aftermath of Hurrikane Katrina, very nice lady, she told me about her son and how much she loves him. She was very troubled by he ex husband crimes. Situations like this can have negative effects on innocent family members. I know the man was killed in prison.
I never seen her again, I hope she is doing well and that is in company of her son.